Register for this summer’s Buprenorphine Waiver Trainings to receive up to $1000 from CU’s Practice Innovation Program!
The latest Maternal Mortality Review Committee report shows that during 2014–2016, the top two singular causes of all maternal deaths were suicide and drug overdose. There is a need for providers to aid persons struggling with opioid use disorder (OUD) during the vulnerable perinatal period, but there is a shortage of providers in Colorado who are able to prescribe buprenorphine treatment for patients with OUD, and even fewer trained to care for the perinatal population.
Buprenorphine can be prescribed during routine clinical care, including primary care, family practice, psychiatry, and the emergency department, to treat individuals with prescription opioid or heroin addiction including during pregnancy and postpartum. With the increasing rates of maternal OUD and overdose deaths in the state, it is imperative that we increase treatment resources for these patients.
Due to this need, the Practice Innovations in Opioid Management at the CU Department of Family Medicine is offering a stipend for Colorado providers who get their DEA X waiver.
Those who complete a waiver training course and receive their waivers from DEA by September 30 will be eligible to receive up to $1000 in compensation.
The CU Practice Innovation Program is offering Advanced Practice Practitioners (CNMs, NPs, PAs) a $1000 incentive and MDs/DOs a $500 incentive for submitting documentation of their DEA X Waiver by September 30.
CPCQC and its partners recommend all providers complete the ACOG-ASAM trainings, which include additional instruction on the pregnant and postpartum population. View and register for these perinatal-inclusive ACOG-ASAM trainings here: https://www.asam.org/education/live-online-cme/waiver-qualifying-training/ob-gyn-focus
The following perinatal-inclusive training dates are available for completion prior to the September 30 deadline* for waiver incentives:
– Wed, Aug 26, 6:00 am – 10:30 am MT
– Fri, Aug 28, 6:30 am – 11:00 am MT
– Fri, Sept 25, 7:00 am – 11:30 am MT* (recommended only for MDs or DOs, as deadline to submit waiver for compensation is Sept 30)
Though we encourage ALL providers to complete the above perinatal-inclusive training due to the prevalence of peripartum patients in all practice types, ASAM’s general waiver trainings are available before Sept. 30 at many additional dates to those listed above. See and register for all general waiver training dates here.
*CNMs, PAs, and NPs should keep in mind that they must complete an additional 16 hours of self-paced modules after the “live” virtual training on the above dates, before they can submit their waiver documentation to CU’s Practice Innovation Program to receive the incentive.
– Once waiver is received, documentation can be submitted here to receive compensation from CU Practice Innovation Program (bookmark this!)
– Slides from our Info Session on Waiver Training and Incentives
– Recording of our May Info Session (Password: 2I#@znxf)
– Questions about compensation or MAT Team Training: Allyson.Gottsman@CUAnschutz.edu / 303-915-7701
– Questions about practice or course content/structure: firstname.lastname@example.org or email@example.com
– Questions about upcoming training dates, registration, CPCQC, or anything else: firstname.lastname@example.org